Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The second most MISERABLE run, of my life.

The last two Saturday mornings I've woken up early to get a long run in before it gets too hot out. The first one went really well. I've been running with my friend Kim. She has taken me on two different routes and has been a great new running buddy. We are running the Dallas half together a week from Sunday. I am still so excited for the race, even after my run this past Saturday.

Let's just start off by saying that it was the second most miserable run of my career. Only second to a 16 mile training run I did by myself after the flu. ANYWAY, this run on.... Oh my goodness. I woke up and my stomach was in knots. I was tired. Basically my body said get back into bed we're NOT running right now. But I had a friend waiting for me at the trail so I threw on my shoes and out to the trail I went. 

BIG MISTAKE.

We started our 13 mile run out with a short out and back to add the two extra miles that our eleven mile route would have cut off. I'm telling you I would have been happy to be done after the first mile. Singular. My body was not having any of it. But sometimes it's a mental thing where you just have to get over the first few miles and then my hips fall into a rhythm and the rest of the run is smooth sailing. Plus I'm already up and out running so suck it up an it will be over before you know it.

Not even close.

Let me just say that it was about 85% humidity that morning. Which is basically like running through a shower. The air is thick. Awful, no fun, miserable running weather. And it's only going to get more humid as the summer goes on. In the last 3 miles of the run it became hard to breathe with the humidity.  I know I am used to running inside or at least without so much humidity so I am not adjusted to this weather yet but seriously it was AWFUL!!  Ok so I don't feel great, it's hot sunny and humid but I can do this right?

......

Well I will willingly admit that I do not like to run hills. I am a flat fast kind of girl and that's A ok with me. I don't care if it's the easy way out. If I do come across a hill I will power up it and just get it over with. But I absolutely despise long slow gradual inclines. Oh my goodness someone make it stop, were just crawling up and up and up. You guessed it, the trail from Saturday's run had oh so many long slow inclines, including but no limited to at least two that were over a quarter mile long. COME ON!!!! My body is literally hating me at this point. 

LOOK at this proof!!! This is the actual elevation changes of our run! Nothing was flat!!!! At ALL!!!!!

Did I mention that I had to stop on the route and go to the bathroom, thankfully Jack in the Box was open. Unfortunately, the stall I choose didn't have any paper, just my luck. But the other one did so that was good. 

My new running friend Kim is amazing quite frankly and had she not been there I would have said screw this and turned around and walked back to my car. No seriously at one point I weighed out that possibility, I kept telling myself I would feel better just hang in there a little bit longer, we can't have that much further to go.....

After 13 painful miserable miles and one fabulous running partner, it was finally over.

It needed to be documented that I finished this beast of a run!!! The only reason I am smiling is because I am DONE! and now I am off to my date with a cold shower and an iced powerade sitting in my fridge. Heavenly!

Mentally, if I can finish that run, I can do anything. 

Including walking up my stairs to get into my apartment... I sat in my car and just stared at them thinking "WHYYYY do I live on the second story????"


So my running in Texas has been great so far minus one really really REALLY crappy run. But it happens and the next day our 6 mile run felt like a piece of cake.
I started my Sunday morning off with a wrap and an iced tea from the Starbucks right down the road from my apartment. I love to read the paper on the weekends, I would like to do it every morning but I think I leave for work before the paper is even delivered... So....

I did some shopping for my apartment on Sunday, too. It was fun to look at all of the decorations, but nearly impossible to choose!!! I loved this little piggy painting, but my apartment isn't barn yard animal themed unfortunately so I had to pass. Although I could always hang it in my office....


My most EXCITING and slightly terrifying purchase I made this weekend was my brand new very own QUEEN SIZE BED!!!!! I swear it hugs me back when I am sleeping on it. I can't believe I've left it so far. It is like sleeping on a cloud. It makes getting up unnaturally early for work nearly impossible. I am shocked I haven't been late for work yet! Fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment